26 - 31 Charlotte Square
Located in Edinburgh’s prestigious Charlotte Square, these former National Trust for Scotland offices have been refurbished and redeveloped into commercial accommodation.
Originally designed by Robert Adam in 1791, the restoration of these 6 A-listed townhouses sees the architectural integrity of these neo classical facades, fully restored. As well as restoring the buildings exterior and interior, Morgan McDonnell Architects have also redeveloped the area behind these old Georgian houses, linking the 3 central townhouses to a contemporary lightweight glass and ETFE (a fluorine based plastic) covered courtyard to provide 32,000 ft2 of grade A office space.
The balanced contrast between the old exterior and modern interior is reflected throughout the building’s fabric, especially it’s ironmongery. A traditional oval design was approved for the knob handles as it provided the most grip available. A polished chrome finish was chosen as Morgan McDonnell Architects wanted a modern feel to the hardware whilst being traditionally sensitive to the age of the building. Initially Morgan McDonnell Architects wanted to use lever handles, but due to the listed status of the building and the design of the doors (many of the original doors were refurbished) a knob handle was deemed the most suitable.
Working with Morgan McDonnell Architects, Allgood Plc provided a combined ironmongery and access control package that included: hinges, door closers, locks, kick plates, signage and concealed electromagnetic locks. All items Allgood provided were delivered on time and within the clients budget.
View Case Study PDF