Originally built in 1928, the Fullerton building was initially used as an office, housing entities such as the Ministry of Trade and the Chamber of Commerce.
Following a brief spell as a makeshift hospital during the second World War, Britain’s surrender of Singapore to Japan led to the building becoming the headquarters for Japan’s military operation in the country.
In 1997, the Building was sold for £300m and work began on renovating it for use as a hotel. Architects 61 set out to restore the building’s existing facade. The neo-classical columns and high-ceiling verandas were retained and the the Shanghai plaster panel cladding was restored.
However, the interior had to be completely transformed to accommodate the hotel’s 400 rooms. New additions included the indoor garden and the new restaurant, where the building’s historical lighthouse was kept and incorporated into the decor.
Allgood began work on the Fullerton in 1999, with a view to supplying a high quality, bespoke package that would complement the building’s prestigious reputation.
Allgood originally specified a combination of stainless steel Haft Elipse levers and matching pulls (top & bottom right images) in the public areas, along with bespoke FSB pull handles for the ballroom doors (bottom left image). In the back of house area, Modric lever handles were fitted throughout, ensuring the hotel had a product that would last for at least 25 years.
More recently, Allgood were asked to provide new window fittings in a polished stainless steel finish, to match the white painted windows in the bedroom.